We are committed to a sustainable product that treads lightly on the planet and supports ethical production practices. We are always on a journey to do more, but here is a list of the choices we've made to support our mission.
- We source 90% of our tea from a single estate, chosen carefully for it's commitment to sustainable and ethical farming practices. In 2021 we moved all our sourcing to direct from the Chota Tingrai Estate in the Tinsukia district of Assam, India.
- Our teabags are made from a biodegradable plant starch called NeoSoilon. NeoSoilon® is a Non-GMO woven mesh filter made from PLA resin that derived from sugarcane. They will break down under certain environmental conditions and degrade most quickly (within 12 weeks) when disposed of through an industrial food waste system. We therefore strongly recommend that you find out from your local council if it offers a food waste recycling collection service in your area and if so, discard them using this.
- We package our teabags in Natureflex plant-based polybags. They will break down within 12 weeks in home compost or water.
- All of our cardboard packaging is FSC certified and fully recycleable.
- Our gift boxes do not contain any plastic. We use paper 'bubble wrap', water activated compostable tape and paper fill.
- Our tissue paper is compostable and printed with soy-based inks
- Our compostable stickers are made from FSC-certified paper and printed with soy-based inks.
Biodegradable vs. compostable tea bags – what is the difference?
The main difference between compostable and biodegradable tea bags is that biodegradable tea bags require a specific environment in order to break down, whereas compostable tea bags break down naturally.